Tuesday, March 13, 2012

When the sun comes out.

Thursday evening we checked the weather forecast for the following day with delight. It would be a beautiful sunny day like the day had been and we wanted to take advantage of it. I have been trying to find things to do that truly make me happy. I want to do challenging, rewarding things. I love me a great movie or book don't get me wrong but sometimes I yearn to be working back at the summer camp waking up far too early to shout songs by a lakeside. I like to consider myself an outdoorsy type girl but in all honesty I don't think I am all the way there. But I want to get there. So we planned a hike on friday after Kyle got done with school. I downloaded an app on my phone to direct us to an introductory hike. I of course made the poor decision to wear my converse. I told you I wasn't all the way there yet.
The sunshine made the hike wonderful. We shed our jackets and let our skin soak in the vitamin D that we have been missing this winter. The hike started out on slippery compacted snow which had melted into ice. The path was shaded by the sun and so the snow remained, stubbornly sticking together in fear of the inevitable spring which will melt it away. Once we reached a point where we could hike upward we saw the dirt littered with glitter. Formica. An old childhood friend graced our hike. My brothers and I used to pander for formica in a neighborhood friend's backyard. I remember all of us kids digging a great big pit and sifting for flecks of what appeared to be gold to us.
The view from the top was....a little anticlimactic. But it took my breath away nonetheless. Not because of a sweeping view of God's creation but because God gave us a day to hike in the sunshine. The gratitude I held in my heart was for being outside using what is given by God to be happy. It isn't always going to be miraculous sunsets that leave us speechless. Sometimes the day is a bunch of puzzle pieces, each with a confusing camo design of it's own. But oh when you listen to how He wants you to put the pieces together. The big picture all makes sense.
It's the way your baby looks in blue.
Genuine smiles because we just released some endorphins and are feeling the sun for an extended period of time.
It's the fact that your husband will wear the baby, not because you asked but because he wants his son to be near him.
It's watching a child take in the beauty of the earth. Even if the earth was brown and muddy.
It's your baby insisting you walk in front so that he can keep you in his line of sight at all times. This baby knows you are his mama.
It's taking a moment once the hike is all finished and the baby is chillin' in his carseat to kiss your man who is oh so good to you.

So even though the trail was slippery and muddy and the view from the top wasn't exactly the best grand display of God's creation you've ever seen, sometimes reaching the top is about seeing your family for what they are: a majestic creation that as cliche as it sounds, takes your breath away.

No comments:

Post a Comment