Thursday, May 10, 2012

the possibility of a beautiful creation



I am not the most organized person.  I try to be but growing up the floor in my room was often a mound of clothes, pinks mixing with yellows and blues, creating an abstract art for the teenager. It made sense in my mind, a sort of chaotic organization which always had me discovering a long lost shirt like it was buried treasure.

As a wife my organization is harnessed but whenever you mix two adults and then throw in a baby things can get a little crazy.

When I clean, it only makes sense to find a home for everything. I don't see a point in putting random objects in random spaces "temporarily" only to forget you put them in that temporary space and are convinced they are lost forever. This happens quite a bit as my husband chooses this method as his main form of cleaning. It's a sort of "out of sight, out of mind" concept and it works for when guests are coming over and you need to tuck a few things away.

I have been trying to be more deliberate with my organization, however. Not confined to cleaning, my desire to make sense out of all that I see around me has grown. I have lists everywhere. Of projects, groceries, things to do, places to go, stuff to buy. It can be extremely overwhelming at times.

There is so much I want to accomplish, so many adventures I want to go on, and so much to create.

The lists become chaos in my mind, thoughts darting from meals to books to art.

Then I remembered a brief idea that I had learned in a religion class in Seattle.

We were studying the Old Testament, Genesis, Chapter one. The Creation of the Earth. I read it lazily, not even trying to understand the dated language.  There was a lot about God seeing and naming and telling the Earth what to do.

But I had a teacher who understood how much can be grasped from that first chapter with its dated language. He explained that God was teaching us about how to create and most significant to me, God was teaching us that you can take matter, even chaotic matter, and organize it and make it into something beautiful.

Our teacher went on and the Spirit grew stronger within my heart. He said that God is showing us how He is creating us into something beautiful.

We are complex individuals with a myriad of trials and experiences and everyday God is organizing us. Dividing our strengths from our weaknesses and commanding us to become more than we were the day before. Just like He commanded the plants to create and the animals to create, He commands us to create, and not just by having posterity.

We are to create within our lives, within the walls of our homes, our offices, and especially within the confines of the sky. Our lives may be chaotic with ever-increasing lists of things to do, but we have the promise that if we divide and conquer and organize than there is the possibility of our lives becoming a beautiful creation.

And in the process, we become His most beautiful creation of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment