Thursday, May 17, 2012

When life gives you a large roll of paper...

You paint it!

A couple of weeks ago I threw a bachelorette party for my best friend and we had a photobooth set up to take some silly pictures. My awesome Seattle photography friend Hannah offered to take the pics and when she left she left the backdrop which was essential just white butcher paper. I was going to throw it away at my Aunt's house in Seattle but it wouldn't fit in the garbage can so I just left it in the trunk of my car to throw away in our large dumpster.

I was about to throw it away when it dawned on me that one does not just throw away a giant piece of paper. My brain immediately imagined a painting party where we let some kids go wild.




I have a hard time with building up expectations and then being disappointed when things don't turn out the way I imagined. The painting party was nothing like that.

It was amazing to watch each child approach the paint. Some treating it delicately and others literally rolling in it.

Max had no issues crawling through the goo but definitely preffered to watch in the other children.




 
The colors mixed beautifully together and the children excitedly poured out more and more  until the paper became a medley of the rainbow with fingerprints and brush strokes marking the the imprint of childhood creativity.

Kids know intuitively how to create art, like I have said before we are here to create and I believe it starts at a young age. To test out how yellow and blue make green and how much paint you need on your brush to complete your shape takes practice.

What I loved best about this day was that it reminded me how awesome motherhood is. Sure it can be messy but it is oh so sweet to see your child crawling through globs of paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment