Friday, December 30, 2011

Twas a very merry christmas



Christmas was a little bit twisty this year. I felt the grasp of three sets of parents. I tried to relax but it was hard when we were sleeping at my Dad's, spending time at my Mom's, and my MIL and SIL kept popping in to visit since it is always such a journey out to their home. I wished I had had more time with my mother but I relished in the comfort of relaxed nights laying in bed with my husband talking about the day.


I was nervous for Christmas day. We didn't figure out the schedule until Christmas Eve Eve after we argued in front of my mother and her boyfriend about how we were divying up our time. He wanted to go out to his parents more, I hated how trapped I felt thirty minutes from down out with the sagebrush and nothing to do but watch his father play online poker. But Christmas Eve we headed to Mass with my mother, a tradition I still cherish and I know my mother appreciates. I love how Christmas mass involves every single carol. My senses fly with the familiar scents and sounds of the old cathedral. When we returned home we reenacted the nativity. A new tradition initiated by my husband and I. It was funny to see my brothers get excited by finding strange and exotic ways to portray a wiseman. They came bearing a candle and laptop.


My husband, Max, and I played the role of the newly formed family. I donned a blue dress from the seventies my mother found at a thrift store that showed entirely too much cleavage for the virgin Mary. Thankful her shawl covered that fault. Christmas Eve was wonderful. The fire was lit and my mother and I rushed to finish sewing Max's stocking.


Christmas day was packed and we were blessed. I was grateful I hadn't given anyone a hint (except for my father who asked) and we received wonderful thoughtful gifts. I am glad my family truly knows me.


I am grateful for all this year has taught me, especially the ways in which I have grown closer to my Savior and Heavenly Father. I hope you all had a Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment