Thursday, April 1, 2010

Jane Austen

Me and Jane Austen have an interesting relationship.

As an English Major I managed to never in my life read one of her books. You see I only like to read books that I DON'T know the ending to. I tried to start Pride and Prejudice and Emma but I had already heard the endings from my mother, teachers, or a movie.

I love the themes within her work. Of how pride can be so stifling to society and relationships. I love the reality of her characters as well. I find the story lines extremely romantic and yes a little idealistic but the reality is I am a girl.

Well, since I am done with school I decided I would finally conquer Jane Austen. At the library I browsed the classics selection under Austen, Jane. I decided upon Mansfield Park the story of Fanny Price who is sent from her impoverished parents to live with her wealthier (and prideful) cousins. I am about 100 pages in and find it fascinating and sluggish at different times. Fanny Price is my favorite character and I imagine that was Austen's intention because all of the other characters are extremely selfish which makes them difficult to like.

I like this book because in all honesty I have NO IDEA what is going to happen. I hope that Fanny will eventually break out of her shell and find love and there are plenty of pages for that to happen but I have no idea whether that will happen.

I really want to finish this book because I have decided for the rest of my life I will alternate between a classic and an eye-candy book. An eye-candy book is a book that is not necessarily considered for its literary aspects but is entertaining. Think Harry Potter, Twilight, and the Boxcar Kids (yes I read almost all of them).

I have already had my eyes on an eye-candy book. It is a series that I started in High School and is finally finished. Uglies, Pretties, Specials, and finally Extras is out. So I will be reading that once I am done with Austen.

Does anyone have any good book suggestions? Eye-Candy or Classics?

No comments:

Post a Comment