Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Consecrating and Fundamentals

As you might have guessed I was in Chicago this past weekend.



Chicago during General Conference? Yeah I didn't think ahead very well. But it worked out and I was quickly able to watch conference on my own. However, I will strive to not do it again.

Conference became my solace during the trip. For those of you who do not know what it is, it happens every six months where a weekend is set aside in our church where we are spiritually enlightened on all topics by prophets, seers, and revelators. I always look forward to hearing their inspiring words. This time it fed me immensely as I spent far too much time alone with a two-year-old.

So many questions came to my mind during conference:

How can I consecrate my life more fully to the Lord?
How do I master the fundamentals of life?
What are my fundamentals?
What does the gospel mean to me personally?
When do I struggle most?
Do I know what's important?
How and when do I choose faith personally?
When have I shown lack of faith?
Do I look to the arm of flesh?
How can I utilize truth in my life more fully?
Do I have the believing heart of a child?
Am I being what I want to become?
How can I deepen my relationship with God?
What are the anchors of my faith?
What are the deep things I have to be grateful for?
Do I neglect the Holy Ghost?
Am I filled with light?
What have I done with Christ's name?

Sorry if that was an overload.

My mind was so full. I thought about where I am in life. I am happy but I want to improve. I started piecing together Elder Christofferson's (an apostle) and President Uchtdorf's (Second Counselor in the First Presidency) talks. I had an epiphany you might say, a revelation from my Heavenly Father of what I needed to do.



I needed to apply conference.

Last week a day of the week would look something like this.

Set alarm for 6:45 but actually wake up at 7:10am. Rush to get ready.
Attempt to read my scriptures while Isabella is distracted.
Play with Isabella. Eat her leftover food (crackers, chicken nuggets, toddlery food (word rating? 5)).
Come home from work. Sit on couch. Grab computer. Turn on tv.
Facebook stalk. Blog Stalk. Watch whatever is on tv.
Maybe play cards with Kyle.
Eat, maybe prepare first, dinner with the grandparents.
More computer, more tv.
Bedtime around 11pm.

Yes. It was a sorry life. I am not proud of it. But I have a sincere desire to change.

This is why I love conference. It brings to mind the things I need to work on. What I need to improve upon and it gives me the motivation to do it. It reminds me that I am a daughter of a loving Heavenly Father who sent me here to perform a great work. Weather it is being a daughter, a mother, a leader, whatever. I am here for a purpose and I need to consecrate myself. Commit myself to the Lord. I need to prepare now. So that I can be ready.

But also so that I can truly ENJOY my life. No living with my grandparents isn't ideal. But I can make it as enjoyable as possible.

So, here is the plan.

What are the ways in which to consecrate according to Elder Christofferson?
1.purity
2.work
3.respect for physical body
4. service
5.integrity

What are the fundamentals according to President Uchtdorf?
1. relationship with God
2. relationship with Family
3. relationship with others
4. relationship with ourselves



To combine these I have devised my own list. A list of things that I want to focus on this week. That I want to improve upon. So far I have been greatly blessed in fulfilling my desire.

1. Take care of my body. My body is precious. Just because I look healthy does not mean I AM healthy. I need to really exercise. I need to eat well. I need time to rest properly. I need to find my work fulfilling which means I need to use this time as a time to prepare for when I become a mother. I need to seek out that which is good and find joy in the small and precious things of life.

2. I need to strengthen my relationship with God. I need to set aside time to study my scriptures. I need to be more diligent in my prayers and more sincere in what I say. I need to go to the temple to commune with Him. I need to repent and seek forgiveness often.

3. I need to spend more quality time with my husband. I need to take advantage of all the time we have together. I need to listen to his counsel. I need to turn off the tv and shut the computer when we are together. I need to express love and gratitude more often. I need focus when we are together.

4. Service. I need to focus on others more often. I want to be a wonderful visiting teacher. I want to be an inspiring Sunday School teacher. I want to volunteer with teens. I want to give them hope in this scary world.

The actuality of my desires is coming true. I have exercised for the past two days which for me is very rare. I feel this power within me pushing forward towards a greater relationship with my Heavenly Father than I have ever known. I have set aside time to read my scriptures and study them. I have turned to my father in prayer. I have meditated. I have enjoyed time with my husband (today we played ping pong and pool at the Institute).

I already find my life more fulfilling.

I write this all because I want to continue to explore and examine my experience as I focus on the fundamentals and consecrate myself to God. I also write this with a sincere hope that others may take on the challenge.

Rid your life of the unnecessary. Focus on what is important. Focus on your family, on God, on serving, on strengthening your spirit and ultimately YOU!

I know that the words of the living prophets are true. I have felt the power of what they say in the realest sense and I know that as all desire to change their lives for the better that that same power will come into their lives and bring so much joy and happiness.

Trust me. Trust Him.


p.s. All the painting on here are Minerva Teichert. I am in LOVE with the beautiful art that she does. I want them in my home. There is a spirit about them that I cannot explain.

No comments:

Post a Comment