Thursday, October 28, 2010

Smile?

What is your most self-conscious part of your body? Ok, you don't really have to answer that. In fact don't dwell on it too much. I am going to show you how silly it is to be so self-conscious.

Behold:

My smile.



Silly? Yes.


Still self-conscious? Yes.

What's the problem?

It's crooked. Look at my lower lip. You can see more of my teeth on one side than the other. I don't know why this bothers me but it does.



Did you ever practice smiling for your school pictures in the mirror? Stupid teen magazines suggesting we devote time to perfect our smile. Ugh.

Why did we feed into this?

Um...because we were insecure teenagers.....

But the ramifications? I still am self-conscious whenever someone takes a picture!

Is it year book worthy?

Did you ever have braces? Smiling was the worst then!

Metal mouth stage or hide it behind your lips creating an awkward lumpy lip look.

Either way.

How silly is it that we hold these insecurities. You know what helps when I get over-aware of my smile?

I think about Elder Richard B. Scott a church leader. Random? Not so much.

He came to visit the Seattle area a couple of years ago and being the enthusiastic young convert I wanted to get the best seats to hear him speak. My friend and I ended up being in the very front row. After his message the congregation was able to go and meet him. You know what he said to me?

"You have a lovely smile."

My smile is endorsed by an apostle. Pretty cool huh? Now not everyone has the experience of having an apostle compliment them. But we do all have the capability to acknowledge the love that Heavenly Father has for us and for our bodies. He loves us just the way he made us and each of our so-called imperfections are "lovely."

2 comments:

  1. at least your smile is better than kyle's in that last picty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gina! {it's kristen smith} i will vouch for your smile too you silly girl! it's an beautiful smile!

    i love that i became friends with you on facebook, and this discovered your blog! it's awesome and i love it!

    ReplyDelete